2019-07-19

You Always Hurt the One You Love

You always hurt the one you love 
The one you shouldn't hurt at all 
You always take the sweetest rose 
And crush it till the petals fall

But just to be clear, this is not an apology. I'm explaining to you why I won't apologise - because I have nothing to apologise for. You may have thought I was making a point about how we have the greatest capacity to hurt those who love us - because of the fact that they care deeply about us and the things we say and do - as a sort of lead-in to an apology, explaining that I understand why my actions were so hurtful.

No.

I'm saying that hurting the one you love is inevitable and therefore not my fault.

You always break the kindest heart 
With a hasty word you can't recall, so
If I broke your heart last night
It's because I love you most of all

So you see it was an accident, and I won't apologise for an accident - especially not when it was your fault anyway. Yes. It was. See, you inspired the love that caused me to hurt you. And don't pretend you didn't do it on purpose. You wanted this all along.

And it's going to happen again. Obviously. Because I still love you, and you always hurt the one you love. It's not a one-time thing; I said "always". And the fact that I keep hurting you will just prove how much I continue to love you. If I didn't hurt you, then you'd have cause to complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment