2022-02-05

Firebite

"Welcome to Opal City. This remote Australian Outback mining town is the last colonial stronghold for vampires and when the King Vampire arrives with plans to take over and kidnap locals for their blood, it's up to two aboriginal renegades, Tyson and Shanika, to stop him and end the 230-year war."

- AMC+

The first episode didn't entirely sell me on this show, but I kept watching because I like Rob Collins and it definitely picks up after that. I think they were a bit too eager to show you who the main characters are and ended up exaggerating them to begin with to make sure you'd get it.

There were a couple of points where the show could have ended and it surprised me by still having more episodes to go, but it never felt like it was being dragged out; it was just making good use of the available material and then moving on.

Aside from the rough edges on the first episode, my one other complaint (although it is a big one) is how the last episode ends with a sequel hook instead of wrapping up the story. Up to that point it really feels like it's building to a conclusion and then it just doesn't. Instead of telling a complete story they leave everything up in the air. You can see exactly what the ending was supposed to be, but if they'd actually done it then they'd have to have either ended the show or dramatically changed the status quo for season two.

It's not the worst example, I've seen, but it's pretty bad. It's not a case of "this story's over, but here's an even worse villain for the sequel!" they literally don't finish the story. It's not even clear what the current status of some of the characters is - probably in case they need to write them out if the actors aren't available.

Over all, it was enjoyable while it lasted, but it left me unsatisfied. It hasn't been announced yet whether there'll be a second season, but even if there is I'm not sure how interested I am. If I can't trust them to actually finish the story they've started, is there any point in watching? Even if it does come back for a second season, will that one end on a cliffhanger with the plot left unresolved as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment