2020-10-21

Quick Game Reviews #9

I have over 100 games in my Steam library that I don't even know what they are. I should probably try a few of them out, right?

Aegis Defenders is part action-platformer, part tower defence, part anime bullshit, all crap. Tower defence does nothing for me at the best of times, but even the platformy bits of this game are boring. And there's some crafting mechanic bolted on top as well, so it's trying to be about five different games all at once.


I have no idea what this even is. The protagonist seems to be a contract killer who wants to quit but his boss won't let him, then they get mugged by a weird guy who wants to tell them a story, but I shot him in the head and got an instant game over. I tried to redo it but, because I was trying to skip quickly through the stupid cutscene I'd just endured, I accidentally shot him again and got the same game over. So that's my experience of this game I doubt I'm missing much.


I didn't play for long enough to find out, but I suspect this game goes from boring to frustrating with nothing in between. The bit I did play was very boring though. The Steam description calls it "reversed tower defense", which seems accurate. You're tying to make sure as many of your units survive to reach the path by telling them what path to take and using your commander unit to keep them healed up. Seems more like a mobile game than a PC game, really. And the voice acting is both constant and terrible.


Sort of a puzzle platformer but underwater (so swimming instead of jumping) and with a musical gimmick. A lot of timing-based obstacles and abilities. Certainly beats the last three games but it's probably not one I'll come back to any time soon. It's fine; it's just nothing special.


You know those phone/web games where your character just constantly runs and you press a button to jump and that's it, it just goes forever? That's what this game is. Also it's hideous. Obviously designed to look like an Atari 2600 (I saw a bonus level that was clearly based on Pitfall!) but it looks really bad on my giant modern TV.


A simple little puzzle platformer. Collect blocks and stack them to get to different parts of the level. I assume there's probably more to it as you get further into the game, but it's a solid concept. I'm not sure I'll ever really play much of it though, just because it's got a lot of competition. Feels like the kind of game you'd play a lot of if it came out pre-internet, when your options were much more limited.


<< I Played Three Games Today

Games. Games? Games! >>

No comments:

Post a Comment