2012-07-12

YouTube layout

Recently when I went to look at some videos on YouTube I noticed that the layout had changed from a grid to a list, and the button that used to control that setting was gone. I asked around and found that others were still seeing the grid view.
So I tried opening it up in another browser and found that when it doesn't know who I am, YouTube gives me the layout I want. For reference, here's how it looks when I'm not logged in...


...and here's how it looks when I am:


Now, the new view requires me to select the "browse" tab and then "videos" from a dropdown, rather than just selecting the "videos" tab as I used to, and displays about half as many videos on my screen at any one time.

This is not a major issue, but I'd really like to know where they've hidden the option to go back to the way it was before. It's clearly still an option since it's what comes up by default when I'm not logged in, but nowhere in my account settings can I find any way to control this. And I don't know what (if anything) I did to make it switch to this in the first place.

Someone suggested to me that perhaps Google is testing out a new layout on a limited number of users, and although that seems like a pretty shitty thing to do, it does seem to fit the evidence. So come on, Google, what is this? Give me back my normal layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment