2023-09-07

FAQ for TTRPG GMs

Q: Is it OK to kill off a player character by GM fiat?

A: Why do you want to?

Q: They keep doing things I don't like!

A: So your real question is...?

Q: How can I force my players to stop playing the way they want to and play the way I want them to instead?

A: You can't.

Q: If I kill off their characters, will that stop them playing in a way I don't like?

A: No.

Q: OK but what if I keep punishing their characters in various ways when they do things I don't want them to?

A: They'll hate that and no one will have fun.

Q: So then they'll realise that they should play my way?

A: No.

Q: Well what's the solution then?

A: Stop playing the game. You're not having fun. Find different people to play with - people who want to play the same kind of game as you. These people don't want to play the game you want to play and you don't want to play the game they want to play. Play a different game.

Q: But can't I-

A: No. Stop playing this game with these people. You cannot force people to play the way you want them to by punishing their characters. Stop it.

Q: OK, how can I prevent this from happening again?

A: Make sure, before you start playing, that everyone is on the same page with regard to things like tone and genre. Don't let people think they're signing up for a slapstick comedy if you're actually planning on delivering survival horror. Don't tell people you'll run a game of piracy on the high seas if you're actually planning on marooning them on a jungle island in session one. Set expectations and stick to them. And if you want to change it up later, talk to the players and make sure they're on board with it.

Q: Talk... to the players? Like, out of character?

A: Yes.

Q: I don't want to.

A: I know. That's why you're in this situation in the first place.

Q: I think I'm just going to keep punishing the characters whenever I think the players are playing wrong.

A: Of course you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment