2019-09-11

Zinger Pie

I think the only other thing I've ever bought from KFC was a Double Down, back when those were a thing, so I don't know what the Zinger chicken is normally like. Also, I thought it wasn't called Kentucky Fried Chicken any more? Did they change back?


Anyway, the Zinger Pie looks like a pretty standard pie from the outside. You can sort of see in this photo that it's in one of those foil tins that pies sometimes come in, but otherwise it's pretty unremarkable.


The interior doesn't photograph well but looks fine in real life. The pastry's a bit thick around the edge and it took me a couple of bites to get to the filing, but the filling itself was pretty nice. The warning on the bag proved hyperbolic though, as the pie was neither spicy hot nor physically hot. It had some chilli, but it was relatively mild and didn't linger, and the pie certainly wasn't cold but there was no danger of burning my mouth. It was not thermonuclear - just a reasonable eating temperature. On a scale of 1-5 where 1 is no chilli at all and 5 is too much, I'd probably rate it a 3, but a mild 3 due to the fact that it didn't build up as I ate.


Coming back to that foil tin, it had the effect they always do of making the bottom a bit soft. I'd prefer if it had been heated without the tin so as to create a slightly crisper shell, but it wasn't bad enough to threaten the structural integrity of the pie. You can easily eat it one-handed.

Over all I'd say it was a decent pie, and at $5 for the pie and some perfectly adequate chips you could certainly do a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment