2021-03-27

Ring of Honor 19th Anniversary Show

  • Television Championship (Tracy Williams vs. Kenny King): 2/7. I think the lack of a crowd really hurt this one. It's just hard to really get into a match when there's no crowd response. I dunno, maybe I'd have enjoyed it more later in the show, but maybe not.
  • Flip Gordon vs. Mark Briscoe: 2/7. I barely paid attention to this one, to be honest.
  • Dalton Castle vs. Josh Woods: 2/7. At this point I was starting to think I was just wasting my time watching this show.
  • Grudge Match (Jay Briscoe vs. EC3): 3/7. I'm not sure what the actual grudge behind this was, and I don't know what EC3 actually wanted, but he did keep yelling about honour a lot. I do like EC3, but yeah, just not sure what was going on here.
  • Triple Threat (Flamita vs. Bandido vs. Rey Horus): 6/7. This was incredible. The lack of an audience hurt it a bit, but it was still super cool. Three luchadores just doing non-stop luchadore stuff. I'd watch this all day.
  • Unsanctioned Match (Matt Taven vs. Vincent): 2/7. I've got to give them credit for not having an "unsanctioned" match on the premises or during the actual show. Makes much more sense this way - even if showing the video still kind of makes it seems like they actually did sanction it... But the match was dumb. Listen, AEW tried having some guys fight each other in an empty building for no clear reason and it was dumb. This was a different building, and there was a better excuse for the ring being there, but it was still dumb.
  • Pure Championship (Dak Draper vs. Jonathan Gresham): 5/7. Pure Rules is a neat twist on an otherwise standard match, and this match was fantastic. Again, the lack of an audience brought it down a little, and I felt like the end dragged on a bit, but still a very good match.
  • ROH Tag Team Championship (The Foundation vs. La Faccion Ingobernable): 4/7. Just an OK match, but made slightly more interesting by the ongoing drama between LFI and their manager.
  • ROH Championship (Jay Lethal vs. Rush): 5/7. Rush is very entertaining, but this match too would have greatly benefited from a live audience, and went on a little long.
Overall Rating: 3/7. This show could have got a decent overall score, I think, if it had an audience. Put other wrestlers around the ring like AEW, do masks and social distancing like NJPW, or do some kind of remote/fake audience like WWE, but do something. The empty, silent room just doesn't work for wrestling.

No comments:

Post a Comment