2021-12-27

Book Review: Elantris

A picture of the cover of the book Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

I didn't mind this book, but it did remind me of other, better books - particularly The Sacrifice by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. The ending is extremely unsatisfying and was very obvious from early on. There was really no other way it could have gone. I read in the hope that I was wrong; that there was some twist coming. But there wasn't.

There were bits and pieces I liked a lot, but because of the looming climax they never felt significant. Nothing did, really. All the struggles and conflicts are rather pointless, and although the characters don't realise that, we know it for a fact.

On top of that, the setting felt fairly flimsy. A lot of it seemed implausible; not the magic and such - I can fully accept that as a facet of the setting - but the smallness of the world and the lack of knowledge and intellectual curiosity of its people. Especially in contrast to certain elements of the setting established but never demonstrated.

The book was ok. I enjoyed it well enough. But it hasn't made me want to read anything else Sanderson has written. I will give him credit, though, for writing a single, stand-alone novel and not turning it into a trilogy or series as every other fantasy author seems compelled to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment