2021-12-12

ROH Final Battle

Overall rating: ★★★●★☆☆

I wouldn't normally have bothered watching Hour One but, since this was potentially the last Ring of Honor PPV ever, I decided to make an exception. Probably shouldn't have bothered. It wasn't bad, but the main show was already long enough and there was nothing amazing on Hour One. As for the main show, there were a couple of really good matches to start and the tag championship was amazing, but for a grand finale it was a little lacking.

Hour One

  1. Six-Man Championship (The Righteous vs. Shane Taylor Promotions)
    ★★★●★☆☆
    This was all right. I don't much care for three-on-three matches, and I always feel like the Righteous aren't living up to their potential, story-wise, but the match was fine. Some cool moments.
  2. Six-Woman Tag (Miranda Alize & The Allure vs. The Hex & Chelsea Green)
    ★★★●★☆☆
    I can tell I'm supposed to love Chelsea Green, but I really don't know why. It's gotten to the point that I actually dislike her just because of how blatant it is.
  3. Ten-Person Tag (The Bouncers, World Famous CB, Flip Gordon & PJ Black vs. LSG, Demonic Flamita, Will Ferrara, Sledge, Max the Impaler)
    ★★★○☆☆☆
    I got bored and didn't pay much attention. Teams too big. Cool to see Max in this match though. If you use gender-neutral pronouns but then always categorise them as male or female for the purpose of picking opponents (as AEW does with Sonny Kiss) then it suggests that you don't actually accept their gender identity at all. It's like "Sure, we'll play along; but we can see what you really are." Whereas ROH actually walk the walk and let Max fight anyone.

Main Show

  1. Singles (Dragon Lee vs. Rey Horus)
    ★★★●★★☆
    Love to see some cool lucha shit.
  2. Four Corners Survival Television Championship (Dalton Castle vs. Rhett Titus vs. Silas Young vs. Joe Hendry)
    ★★★●★★☆
    I'm not familiar with Joe Hendry, but I immediately love him.
  3. Pure Championship (Brian Johnson vs. Josh Woods)
    ★★★●★☆☆
    This one was all right, but a bit more shenanigans than I like to see in a Pure match.
  4. Fight Without Honor (Kenny King vs. Shane Taylor)
    ★★★●★☆☆
    This was a bit overdone. Like a lot of no-DQ matches, they started too high up the scale and didn't really have anywhere to go. Once you've put someone through a table and ladder, what are you going to do next? Put him through another table then another ladder? Sure.
  5. Women's Championship (Willow vs. Rok-C)
    ★★★●★☆☆
    This match was fine. Didn't really feel like a big deal though.
  6. Tag Team (VLNCE UNLTD & Rocky Romero vs. The Foundation & EC3)
    ★★★●★★☆
    Started a bit meh, but got good in the second half. Or maybe that's when I ate some food and started feeling more enthusiastic. Who can say?
    But what really pushed this to 6/7 for me was the promo afterwards. I don't know what it means, but I'm excited to find out.
  7. Tag Championship (The Briscoes vs. The OGK)
    ★★★●★★★
    Extremely satisfying. Great match. Should have been the main event.
  8. Men's Championship (Jey Lethal vs. Jonathan Gresham)
    ★☆☆○☆☆☆
    Skipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment