2018-06-10

More of the Steam backlog

I tried a few more of the games I've bought but not played.

Mortal Kombat X (1 hour, 20 minutes)
Just like the previous one but with characters I have no nostalgia for. And I'd forgotten how awkward and fiddly the controls are. Probably not going to play it again. If I want this kind of game I'll just go back to MK2011.

Update: I just played a bit of Mortal Kombat 2011 and it turns out I was wrong. The controls were way better in that one, so that's another point against MKX.

Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore a Fedora (5 minutes)
I don't understand what this is and I don't like it. Looks awful, sounds awful, awful dialogue and gameplay that's already annoying me.

Submerged (25 minutes)
I actually thought this game looked pretty good before I played it, but it turns out it's super boring. What I was expecting was something like the swimmy/climby bits of Tomb Raider or Hydrophobia, but all the climbing is entirely context-dependent (ie. there's no climb or jump buttons, there are just certain walls you can climb and you do so by walking toward them). And there's basically no indication of where to go or why you should want to.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (20 mins)
Remember how bad games used to be? Weird, awkward control schemes, to go along with the game design that's just not quite there yet. Add to that how hideous they look on modern (large, sharp) monitors and you've really got to have some nostalgia for the game to be able to get into it. I remember seeing ads for this game when it came out and thinking it seemed cool, but I never played it and after today I never will again. It might have been good at the time but it's bad now.

Thoth (5 mins)
One of those frustratingly addictive games that drive you insane but possibly in a good way. I really don't like the fact that it sends you right back to the start any time you fail a level twice, so that's probably going to stop me playing it beyond a certain point, but it's pretty fun despite that. Also I couldn't figure out how to quit and had to switch to task manager and kill it, which is off-putting.

Noir Syndrome (5 mins)
This game looks and sounds awful and the controls are terrible. It seems like it might be an interesting concept but there's no way I'll ever find out.

Dex (20 mins)
A 2D side-scrolling action RPG type thing. Combat seems pretty tough but probably gets easier when you get the hang of it. Judging by the opening cutscene the story's going to be really hard to take seriously, but it might be fun. I'll play it again.

<< More short reviews of games I barely playedMore quick looks at games >>

No comments:

Post a Comment