2022-06-27

Still trying out games

Played some more games. Some of them were actually pretty good and a couple of them I'll even play some more of. Some were just not for me. Some were bad. So a real mix this time.

The Talos Principle

Neat, simple puzzle game with a story I hate - but which you can completely ignore. Every puzzle comes down to using devices that temporarily shut down machines; but each device can only shut down one machine at a time. So you need to work out which machines to shut down in what order to get to the objective. I haven't played very far into it yet, so there may be more to it as it goes on, but so far that's it. And it's pretty good.

The only issue I have (aside from the story) is that, like so many puzzle games, moving around the world is a bit of a hassle. It's not awkward or glitchy or anything, it just feels unnecessary. It places a layer of inconvenience between seeing the solution and implementing it. Rather than just inputting the solution you have to walk over to the thing, pick it up, move it to where you need it, walk back, etc. Not a major hassle, but I do feel like the game might be more fun if it played top-down in 2D and you could move a lot faster.

Rochard

I seem to have played this before but don't remember it. I like the aesthetics and soundtrack a lot. Gameplay's all right, but I lost a bit of interest when the enemies showed up. Maybe they won't be too distracting, but they remind me of the turrets from Portal (ie. the worst part of the game). Not sure whether I'll come back to it or not, but it's ok. Basically you just pick things up and move them around to solve puzzles - and you can also drop them on enemies to kill them. That's the bit I'm not keen on; even if the enemies are really just another puzzle/obstacle to get past, they feel different and I don't like them.

Styx: Shards of Darkness

OK, this is Hitman but you're a goblin in a medieval setting. And you don't disguise yourself, I guess, you have other powers though. Seems cool. And actually more approachable than Hitman. But not as appealing. It's much more direct - much more like an actual assassin, in fact. Less playing with the environment and being needlessly tricky. Still, it does seem fun so far - and I'm not normally the biggest fan of stealth games, so it's got something going for it.

Shatter

If you're looking for a modernised version of breakout, this is it. It's bright and fast and, honestly, overwhelming. But not actually hard to play. I'm almost tempted to try playing it on my TV instead of my monitor to see if making it bigger also makes it better, but honestly this game is not for me. I'm sure it's great if you like this kind of thing though.

Tidalis

This game is just not for me. It's a perfectly fine take on the standard colour-matching puzzle, but the way it wants me to think feels like work. I didn't even make it through the tutorial.

Unmechanical

Solving puzzles in this game seems to be mostly a matter of trial and error as it's frequently unclear what you're even supposed to be doing, so you end up just poking things until something happens. Consequently, it doesn't feel satisfying to make progress, because it doesn't feel earned. You don't know why the game is allowing you to move on now, just that it is. And even when you do understand why something worked after the fact, there was often no way to anticipate that it would work that way before you stumbled on the solution. Case in point, the
puzzle pictured requires you to drop things into the water to raise its level, but there's absolutely no way the things you're dropping could be having as dramatic an effect as they are. You'd never think to do this because it's obvious from the outset that it can't possibly work, and yet it does.

Revenge of the Titans

A tower defence game. And a really shitty-looking one at that. No thanks.

Titan Souls

I have no idea what's even happening in this game. I just keep getting murdered by blobs. Might be easier with a controller, but it looks shit so I'm not going to bother.



<< So many games still to play Hwideo Chames >>

No comments:

Post a Comment