2021-11-14

AEW Full Gear

Overall rating: ★★★●☆☆☆

There were a couple of high points, but this was a long, long, mostly boring show. There's so much potential in AEW and so often they waste it. It's hugely disappointing. They do some stuff right, but inconsistently. I just want it to be so much better than it is!

  1. Singles (Darby Allin vs. MJF)
    ★☆☆○☆☆☆
    Skipped.
  2. Tag Championship (FTR vs. Lucha Brothers)
    ★★★●★★☆
    This was a very good match but two things kept it from getting that seventh star:
    1. I expected it to be better, honestly. I had super high expectations for these two teams. I know they're both amazing, but this wasn't their best work.
    2. The ending kind of sucked.
  3. World Title Eliminator Tournament Final (Miro vs. Bryan Danielson)
    ★★★●☆☆☆
    You know how AEW has rankings and they made a big deal about how wins and losses matter? Shouldn't that obviate these kinds of tournaments/matches? You know who the number one contender is because they're ranked number one.
    I loved Miro in WWE; But I think he needed his allies (eg. Perry and Rehwoldt) to bounce off. Because recently he's mainly just been doing solo promos to camera and I just don't care. The best thing he's done in AEW was some of the stuff with Sabian and Ford, although the "best man" thing dragged on a bit, and the Best Friends feud was silly in a way that I don't think it was supposed to be.
    And with Danielson, I feel like they've just brought him in and gone "here's the guy you love" like that's enough. He doesn't need to do anything, you just put him on the screen and people automatically care. But I don't. His arsehole vegan environmentalist character on WWE was great, but when he doesn't have a strong hook like that I just don't care about him.
  4. Falls Count Anywhere (Young Bucks & BUDGE vs. Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus & Christian Cage)
    ★★★●★☆☆
    Why is Cage in this instead of Marko Stunt? Why do we never get to see Jurassic Express all together any more? Actually, we barely get to see Stunt wrestle at all lately. They're not even calling them Jurassic Express in this match. What the hell are they doing with this team? Answer: nothing. Utterly wasted. Although I suppose putting them on a ppv at all is a step up from what they've been given recently.
    Adam Cole is amazing, obviously, but kind of wasted as part of an ensemble. He's such an obvious star; it makes no sense to give him a supporting role. And the Jacksons always work best as a pair. It's like they set out to make the absolute least of everyone's talents.
  5. Tag Team (Pac & Cody Rhodes vs. Malakai Black & Andrade El Idolo)
    ★★★●☆☆☆
    I don't know why these people are teaming up or fighting each other. I think they just didn't have anything for them to do so they hastily threw them into a conflict for no reason. I would much rather have watched Pac vs. Andrade. Neither Rhodes nor Black have really caught me, and I never like ad-hoc tag teams.
  6. Women's Championship (Dr. Britt Baker, DMD vs. Tay Conti)
    ★★★●☆☆☆
    I think Conti got this match because she's top ranked from wins and losses? Which is theoretically exactly what I want, right? Except that they never show the rankings on screen any more or incorporate them into storylines and it doesn't seem to matter who you beat or lost to, so you get people win a bunch of squash matches on Dark suddenly at the top of the rankings and in title matches they've got no business being in. I do like the rankings in theory, but the execution is half-arsed and dumb. I like Tay Conti. I could see her wining the TBS championship. But beating Dr Britt Baker? No. Not at this stage. And the rankings should reflect that or what the fuck are they for?
    Highlight: Rebel going absolutely insane outside the ring.
  7. Singles (CM Punk vs. Eddie Kingston)
    ★★★●☆☆☆
    I wasn't watching wrestling when CM Punk was in WWE. I know a lot of people love him. But I don't know why. He hasn't done anything I cared about yet. I do like Kingston, but more as a person than a wrestler. In the ring, he's never made any kind of impact on me.
  8. Minneapolis Street Fight (Inner Circle vs. Men of the Year & American Top Team)
    ★★★○☆☆☆
    What is the point of these people? Not the Inner Circle, they're cool. Dan Lambert and his friends. Who the fuck are these guys and why are we supposed to care about them? Lambert comes out and gets very angry about... some fucking bullshit, and the Men of the Year stand there laughing like they're hot shit when they haven't done anything. Why the hell did SCU break up? SCU was great.
  9. Men's Championship ("Hangman" Adam Page vs. Kenny Omega)
    ★★★●★★☆
    I was ready for this to happen two months ago, but then the storyline got disrupted and there was that whole Dark Order falling out plot that went nowhere and my enthusiasm evaporated, so I was just like "this is finally happening? Good. Then we can move on."
    That said, these two are absolutely excellent at what they do and by the end of the match I was fully invested again. If it had happened sooner and the story hadn't been interrupted it probably would have got 7/7, but it was still very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment