2022-01-24

The Dispossessed

I asked for someone to recommend me an Ursula Le Guin book that's a stand-alone story (as opposed to a series or trilogy or whatever, because I know what fantasy authors are like) and they told me that this one, despite technically being part of a series, is entirely self-contained. And it is. I don't know that it was a good recommendation though, because now I don't know if I just didn't like it much or if I'd have gotten more out of it if I read them in order.

It wasn't bad. It's certainly well-written. There are some engaging ideas in there. It's just that not much happens and then it just kind of ends. It's not like it leaves things unresolved or tries to bait you into reading the next one, it's just that it's a sort of naturalistic story so there's not really a clear "everything is resolved and he lived happily ever after (or didn't)" type ending. Shevek just continues to live his life, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment